Washing your makeup brushes should be a regular part of your beauty routine. When you use your brushes, bits of makeup, oil, dirt, and even bacteria can get trapped in the bristles. So while it might seem basic, skipping this step can lead to clogged pores and pesky breakouts (and its actually quite gross). A good makeup brush doesn’t come cheap, so looking after them will lengthen their life span.
luckily cleaning your makeup brushes is easy, i like to rinse them at least once a week or every 2 weeks (note that the brushes will need a good few hours to dry completely, you do not want to use a wet brush, i would recommend cleaning after you have already applied you makeup for the day)
Here’s the right way to deep clean your makeup brushes…
You will need:
• A shallow bowl
• Gentle clarifying shampoo or baby shampoo
• Your sink
• A lint free cloth
- Begin by running your brushes under lukewarm water, rinsing out all of the residual makeup. Try to focus on the actual bristles while avoiding the part of the brush where handle meets the head, as this can loosen the glue over time
- Fill a bowl with lukewarm water and a squirt of shampoo, and gently swirl your brush tip in the water. If you need to, you can also swirl the brush in the palm of your hand to work up a lather.
- Rinse the brush tip under running water once again. Repeat steps two and three until the water runs clear from the brush,
- Use a cloth to wipe your brush clean, reshaping the bristles as you go.
- Lay your brushes flat on a cloth to dry.
- trim any runaway bristles or reshape the brush.
and BOOM, you have brushes that look and feel like new 🙂